Thursday, November 13, 2008

Great Weekend For A Pie Contest

And I have a secret weapon to win the Northaven Gardens 2nd Annual Pie Contest. Since Sevy's Grill is a prize sponsor this year it wouldn't look good if I entered and won, so I'm going to share this incredible recipe with anyone who is looking for a hands-down best-ever pie. You don't have to sign up ahead of time, you just bring your pie on Saturday between 9 am and 11 am to their store. Rules can be found here.

It's a family favorite made by my grandmother, and every single female of the Alban clan makes this pie for holiday meals. That being said, we had some disagreements about the methodology, which my aunt put to rest at a family gathering this summer.

So even though this isn't a cooking blog, I consider this too valuable not to share.

GAMMIE'S DREAMY CREAMY PEACH PIE
Graham cracker crust (for 10" pie): 1-1/4 c. graham cracker crumbs, 1/4 c. sugar, 1/2 c. melted butter. Mix together (reserve 2 TBL. for later), press into pie plate and bake for approximately 15 minutes at 350 degrees.

Filling:
3/4 c. sugar
2 c. sliced (fresh) peaches
1 TBL. Lemon juice
1/8 tsp. salt
1/2 c. heavy whipping cream
2 TBL. HOT water (as in boiling)
1 env. Knox unflavored gelatin

Prepare crust and bake to allow time to cool, once cooled, put in refrigerator to chill. Mix sugar, peaches, lemon juice, salt together. Mix HOT water with gelatin and stir until dissolved (don't let it set), stir into peach mixture. Whip cream until thickened (almost to soft peak stage), fold into peaches, then pour into chilled pie crust, refrigerate immediately. When "set", sprinkle reserved crust mix over the top.

While I won't be entering this great pie, I will be at Northaven Gardens for the FREE program at 1:30 - "Growing Fruit Trees in North Texas", with Christine Hensle. Hopefully their fall stock of pomegranite trees are in, I've have been waiting since spring for the "real fruit" bearing version. Oh, and I want to find out who wins at 2:30.

2 comments:

Classy&Sassy said...

My family would just *adore* this pie! ...What do you do when peaches are not in season?

Anonymous said...

Both my grandmothers and my mother were "into" canning fruits and vegetables during peak season. I spent many Augusts in an un-airconditioned kitchen flash-boiling and peeling tomatoes and peaches.

You can try canned peaches, but get ones that have a light syrup and reduce the sugar in the recipe slightly. Taste before pouring mixture into pie shell, if too sweet, add a little more lemon juice.