Friday, July 31, 2009

Sevy's August Cocktail - Dripping Springs Rickey

A delightfully fresh classic cocktail with a Texas twist. We will be featuring the Dripping Springs Rickey, with Dripping Springs vodka, raspberry syrup, fresh lime juice and club soda, $7.95.

Dripping Springs Vodka is made about 3 hours south of Dallas by former Dallasites (and brothers) Kevin and Gary Kelleher, who in the brief 3 years of operations have had to battle back from two fires and a flood. But I could see why people keep buying out their small production, it was smooth and lovely, and well perfect for this summer cocktail.

OK, so I had a similar drink in Boston at Toro, and I loved it - and I don't drink vodka (very often). And at the SW Food Expo, I had four tastes of Dripping Springs vodka, four, and I don't drink vodka (very often). But it was a natural to pair these two up, and since there is a GO TEXAN expo in town this month, why not feature a great Texas product?

So I called dibs on the Cocktail of the Month at Sevy's, and I even got to make the raspberry syrup, which I've been using all week to make virgin Rickey's at home.

I'll leave the making of the perfect cocktail to the boys down at the bar, but I'll share with you here the makings of a perfect raspberry simple syrup.

RASPBERRY SIMPLE SYRUP
1 1/2 c. sugar
1 1/2 c. water
12 oz. fresh raspberries

Mix together in small pan, heat over low heat for 20 minutes. Do not let come to a boil - the lower you keep the temperature the clearer the raspberry flavor. Remove from heat, mash lightly to release juices, let set for 1 hour. Strain with fine strainer. Keep refrigerated.

No comments: