Thursday, August 28, 2008

Cook Book Shopping This Weekend

I was just checking the calendar, entering my back-to-school sign up commitments for working concessions, selling raffle tickets, etc., when I noticed that this weekend is First Monday Trade Days in Canton While not a "big" used book source, I've found a few treasures there, as well as numerous vintage kitchen items (like a replica of my grandma's lemonade pitcher, pictured). While called First Monday, the sales actually begin on Thursday and end on Sunday.

It's about a 1 1/2 hour drive east on Highway 80, and if you've got kids in school you can drop off, make the drive, shop for about 4 hours and make it back by 3:00. I recommend the stuffed baked potato concessions stand and the fried green tomatoes (located at a trailer somewhere outside of the sheds). Of course it will be hot, but that means the crowds will be smaller and the deals better. Take a cart or big bag, and wear comfy shoes. I think this year I'll take my camera, and notes.

If you don't find what you're looking for in Canton, on the way back to Dallas there's a great little antique store at the East Fork Road exit (north side).

Not in the mood for the heat and drive? Stay in town and head over to Half Price Books where everything will be off 20% August 29th - September 1. I'm going to try to find time for both places this holiday.

No comments: