Monday, August 25, 2008

Home Kitchen - Penzey's Spices and Simplified Succotash

OK, OK, I know this is not a cooking blog. But when I make something from a post-vacation pantry that takes less than 30 minutes, is healthy, and my family LIKES it, I feel duty bound to share it. Let me say right up front that my cooking in no way competes with my husband's, it's more busy-working-blogging-mom friendly. Feeds a family of 4 for under $8.00. And of course, freshly cooked chicken breast can be substituted, it just takes more time. Also our family has been trying to keep to smaller portions of meat, more legumes, grains and vegetables.

1 can (12.5 oz) Swanson White Premium Chunk Chicken Breast
1 can canneloni beans, drained
1 can corn, drained
1 can quartered artichoke hearts, drained
2 cans (14.5 oz.) diced tomatoes
1 tsp. Penzey's Italian Herb Mix
Salt to taste

Pour all of the above into a sauce pot, breaking up the chicken into smaller pieces. Bring to a boil and let simmer for about 30 minutes. This is excellent over a wild rice mix, adds a nutty crunch to the dish.

Not familiar with Penzey's Spices? They've had a mail order catalogue for years, but they also have a store located in North Dallas - right around the corner from our dry cleaners. Trouble! Keep this in mind for some great holiday gifts.

No comments: