Thursday, October 16, 2008

Cabernet? Get The Fuqua!

Thinly sliced apple, a baguette, some Belletoile (triple cream) brie, and a lovely Cabernet Sauvignon makes for the perfect at-home happy hour. It just so happened that while visiting Fuqua Winery last weekend I picked up a bottle of their 2002 vintage, and while doing my Iron Mom post I picked up some brie, apples and a baguette. So Sunday night, pre-Cowboys we were good to go for a Wine Tasting.

I'm the first to admit that I'm no wine expert, but I like a lot of wines. And if a place doesn't sell a decent wine, you may as well stick with beer, at least that's my motto. Still, after all these years in the business the jargon of wine remains as foreign to me as the Spanish my kids speak fluently. So, as they say, pardon my French as I explain.

Of a clear beautiful deep garnet color, the wine contained no sediments. It smelled sweet, unidentifiably, like when you smell alyssum or abelia in bloom and wonder what it would taste like. The flavor, well it was, well, sweet, but it was not a sweet wine - see this is where I get into trouble. In fact it was rich and peppery, but mainly it lit up the "sweet zones" of my tongue without tasting like a sweet wine. Neither Jim nor I could place a description to it's flavor, not cherry, not grapey, just full and delicious. And at $28.95 a bottle a far better value than more expensive California Cabernets.

I found out while I was there that they will do private wine tastings for groups (up to 16 people, includes light appetizers, approximately $20 - $35 per person depending on what you want) . I think I'm going to have to get a Mommy Monday Wine Tasting over there before the holidays.

1 comment:

Classy&Sassy said...

Sounds like a winner. I'm going to have to get me some!