Thursday, December 18, 2008

Foodie Gift Idea #5 - Penzey's Spices

I was unfamiliar with Penzey's Spices until my sister, Missy, came to visit and insisted on going to the store that had just opened next to my dry cleaner's. That was a few years ago, and I still love to go in there and poke around. For years they sold their products almost entirely from catalogue, bucking the trend of moving away from store locations. Personally I think it helps sales a great deal when you can shop-by-smell.

They have multi-spice gift packs, or you can pick out your own. My favorites are the international spice mixes, you can add them to sour cream for dip, toss them into mashed potatoes, make salad dressings. They have use suggestions that I've never thought of.

Let's review the foodie holiday gift suggestions so far: #1 was the Bloody Mary infused vodka; #2, cooking classes at the Dallas Farmer's Market; #3 pie mixes from Hearne, Texas; #4 - a FREE membership to Dallas Uncorked. I have more to come.

No comments: