Saturday, September 13, 2008

Arugula Is In At NHG

And it's baby arugula, at that (foreground). After weeks of harrassing the staff with repeated phone calls and visits to see if the fall greens have arrived, I decided to run over to North Haven Gardens in between rain belts and wind gusts.

And they have tender little mesclun lettuces and dill and cilantro and pineapple sage and broccoli and cauliflower and brussels sprouts and chrysanthemums and before you can say "Hey you, dumb dog get out of my garden!", I'd spent $97. At least Ike should cooperate by assisting them with a little H2O, and next weeks high temps in the '80's is the perfect getting-started weather for them.

I also needed some Skullcap for a garden I'm re-planting (Thank you Deuce, Tres), which the expert-gardener-disguised-as-a-sales-assistant helped me find. "You know," he said with a gleam in his eye, "This plant is known for it's properties." I was expecting a line about it being a smokeable herb, but he went on to explain that it apparently has been used historically to make a "tincture." Huh? So I came right home to look it up, and it does have some medicinal qualities. I think I'll continue to take my medicine from a glass with a stem, thank you very much.

No comments: