Wednesday, September 24, 2008

Can You Spell *W*I*N*N*E*R*?

Doing a snappy happy dance this morning. Received an email from Snappy Salads letting me know I was a snappy winner of a free Half Snap. Been getting take-out there 3-4 times per week and finally they drew my business card out of the free salad bowl.

Snappy Salads is a newish concept on the corner of Forest and Preston (2nd location in NorthPark), in front of The Mercury Grill, and next to Paciugo Gelato. From the looks of things business is good, I've never been there when the place is empty. It's not self-service - you pick the size, choose between 4 types of lettuces and the toppings you want, their employees mix and dress it for you while you watch. They also have ginormous (enough to share) stuffed potatoes and a daily soup.

Not a fan of a lot of lettuce in my salad, I usually get the Half Snap (which comes with 3 toppings) and load it with about 8 more toppings (request a larger to-go box so it doesn't get smushed). Eggs, tomatoes, celery, all the standard fare of toppings are available - but they also have artichoke hearts, water chestnuts, mandarin oranges, capers, and my favorite, cornichons.

If you don't feel like making up your own salad they have a long list of "created" salads to choose from, like their new Fried Chicken Salad, with spring mix, mushrooms, red and green peppers, red onion, tomato, corn and topped with BBQ Ranch and Firecracker Aioli dressings. Did I mention they make most of their 14+ dressings themselves? I've been nagging the owner to get them bottled, they are delicious.

Of course I don't review restaurants on this website, this is just a "Thank You" to Snappy Salads for making my day very snappy. Everyone loves free food.

No comments: