Friday, September 26, 2008

A Pie For Dr. H

Full disclosure - the Boy's fall baseball coach is also Superintendent of DISD and I've never met a person who believes in kids, education and Dallas more than he does. I hope he takes the stress of this "losing streak" in stride, the reports of the board meeting from yesterday would have made someone like me just walk away. But I think he's made of stronger stuff, if you shaved his head he'd look exactly like my very stern German grandfather, Carl Conrad Franz Kressbach who as a sailor knew how to weather a storm.

The district hired a whole bunch of new teachers (good) because the CFO told the district leadership that the money was coming in to cover it. Then they received a report that costs were high, but the state would be sending money to cover it. Then they received a report that costs were even higher, and there wouldn't be the money to cover it. Then they fired the CFO, and now have to remove teachers that were hired with the money they didn't have.

This is a "silver lining" blog, I like to try to see the good side of things whenever possible (which isn't always), but this lining is shining unbelievably bright. Because the money was spent on additional teachers, not on sports facilities, not on field trips, not on travel expenses for board meetings - teachers. And the students benefitted from those additional teachers for the period that the district could afford them. And the district did have the money - $125 MILLION sitting on the sidelines as reserve for a bond market that's been pigging out on "Zero Qual" mortgage packages.

So coach, I've been trying to figure out a pie entry for the North Haven Gardens Pie Contest, and came up with this one, dedicated to you. If I can get it to work, it may be a winning recipe.

COACH'S "GIMME S'MORE CRUNCH" PIE

In a baked graham cracker crust, pour a 1/2 inch layer of bittersweet chocolate and let set. Mix marshmallow fluff with crunchy peanut butter and pour on top. Cover with whipped cream and place a cherry on top. Serve with milk chocolate ice cream.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi Amy,
It's cold and dreay here today. I was sitting at the kitchen table playing with my laptop (not baking) when I ran across your blog. Your Grandpa was my favorite Uncle. I hope to hear from you.
Cousin Johnny
john@kressbach.com